Butterfield Canyon Elementary is located in the rapidly growing city of Herriman. Our doors were opened in July, 2006. The staff at Butterfield Canyon are committed to do whatever it takes to help our students be successful. It is our goal to see our youth become life-long learners who are contributing members of society. Our mission is to help our students LEAD…
L = Learn daily
E = Empower leadership
A = Achieve goal
D = Discover potential
- Butterfield Canyon has approximately 960 students enrolled in Kindergarten through 6th grade.
- The school has a clean-line design featuring flexible space classrooms, a centrally located media center, a spacious gym with a stage area, and up-to-date computer labs. Each classroom is equipped with audio enhancement, a document camera, Apple TV, and a digital projector system.
- Butterfield Canyon is on a traditional school calendar. School begins at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 3:35 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Students do not attend school on Fridays, this is new for the year 2020-2021.
- The teacher/pupil ratio is on average 1:22 in Kindergarten-3rd grades and 1:26 in 4th-6th grades. Actual class sizes may vary year to year.
- Bus service is provided for students who live 1.5 miles or more from the school.
- A nutritious hot lunch is prepared and served daily. Student lunches are available on Fridays even though students are not in school.
- Butterfield Canyon Elementary staff includes over 40 certified teachers. This number includes specialists in Speech/Language, Psychology and Special Education. In addition, over 50 classified employees serve in various other positions in the school that provide students with the support services that promote learning and maximize student success.
- All certified staff hold current teaching certificates with several teachers having earned advanced degrees and educational endorsements beyond the regular teaching certificate.
- All staff members are formally evaluated on a regular basis for the purpose of improving performance. Teachers continually participate in professional development courses to improve instructional skills.
- Butterfield Canyon is a Professional Learning Community where teachers work collaboratively in teams to meet individual student learning needs by providing additional support, intervention, and enrichment. Teacher teams have a sense of collective responsibility to help all the students in their grade be successful.
- Instruction in each grade follows the Utah State Core Standards.
- Butterfield Canyon is a "Leader in Me" school that teaches leadership principles to students. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People are embedded in classroom instruction.
- Technology training is an important aspect of the school curriculum. Our computer labs enable all students (K-6) to learn and practice keyboarding skills, word processing programs, and work with software in core content areas.
- Teachers provide direct literacy instruction in both whole group and skill-based group settings. Math is taught using a variety of methods while utilizing the Math Expressions textbook as a resource.
- Butterfield Canyon has a before-school choir/drama program that allows students in grades 4-6 to experience the joy of performing vocal music with a group and taking part in a theatrical performance.
- Parent volunteers coordinate America's Battle of the Books where students in grades 3-6 read books, then come together in teams of five to answer comprehension questions in a school competition.
- Butterfield Canyon Elementary follows the Jordan District Dress Code that requires clean, neat, modest clothing. Students are expected to learn self-discipline and behave appropriately. If serious problems arise at school – the student, teacher, parents, school counselor, and administration work as a team to find the best solution for the student.
- An active PTA and School Community Council assist with school activities and regularly give input on important school issues.
- Students at Butterfield Canyon are taught responsible citizenship as teachers set reasonable limits, reinforce positive behavior, and employ programs to build student self-esteem.
- Butterfield Canyon students participate in a fitness testing program in 4th-6th grades where students can earn the Buff and Fit Bobcat Awards.
- Students are given opportunities to develop leadership skills in their classrooms and in school-wide leadership roles.
- School visitors and volunteers are welcome at Butterfield Canyon. Through the Learning Links program, volunteers engage in supporting the educational process through their work within the classroom and support at home. It is our hope to have every family, whose students attend Butterfield Canyon, give of their time and service in the quest to educate the youth of today and the leaders of tomorrow.
- Butterfield Canyon is a Golden Gate Kids school, which is a pro-social program to help students learn to build positive connections with their classmates, their family and community.
2018 School Report Card Achievement: Commendable Growth: Typical
The Student Assessment of Growth and Excellence (SAGE) is a collection of computer-adaptive assessments given to Utah students beginning in grade 3. SAGE assessments provide questions that assess students’ ability to apply higher-order thinking skills and better emulate real tasks students may encounter in education and in life.
SAGE assessments were developed through a joint effort on the part of Utah teachers, parents, test development experts, and the Utah State Office of Education. SAGE assessments provide information to assist in determining students’ educational progress towards being ready for college and careers upon completion of secondary school.
- 2014-15 SAGE Results for Butterfield Canyon Elementary
- 2015-16 SAGE Results for Butterfield Canyon Elementary
- 2016-17 SAGE Results for Butterfield Canyon Elementary
- 2017-18 SAGE Results for Butterfield Canyon Elementary
Bobcats LEAD by:
- Learning Daily
- Empowering Leadership
- Achieving Goals
- Discovering Potential
Whatever it Takes! (Our staff will do whatever it takes to help our kids be successful!)
- Eighty-five percent of our students improve their GRL/SRI each trimester to be on track to make at least a year's worth of growth in reading by May 2020.
- Eighty-five percent of our students will demonstrate mastery on grade level essential math concepts by May 2020.
- Implement school-wide leadership roles providing all students with an opportunity to have a school or classroom leadership role to practice the skills they are learning.
Our Mission Statement means ...
Learning that challenges all students to achieve their personal best and be successful at the next level is our task. Teacher teams prioritize curriculum to determine the essential concepts and are relentless in ensuring that additional time and support are provided until every student has reached their individual goals.
Empowering leadership at school is the reason students are given leadership practice opportunities and adults provide regular modeling and instruction regarding the 7 Habits. Producing students who can both explain and internalize the habits are high priorities. Success in life requires us to be leaders of our own lives.
Achieving goals provides incredible satisfaction and fulfillment. Students and staff learn to identify areas of concern, write a targeted goal, develop an action plan to reach the goal, and track progress until it is achieved.
Discovering our potential is a priority of everyone at school. BCE is committed to help everyone realize their unique capacity to make the world a better place. A variety of enriching experiences will be offered to students intended to help them develop interests and talents.